"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Friday, March 9, 2012

KONY, Darfur, Haitti, TOMS; does it matter?


KONY, Darfur, Haitti, TOMS; does it matter




When I first heard of the company TOMS, I wasn't sure exactly what it was. I was on YouTube, and saw a video about a bunch of people barefoot. I loved being barefoot, so I figured I’d watch it. The movie was awe inspiring, and I immediately wanted to get involved. Still not sure what TOMS was, I went to their website and signed St. George up for a day without shoes walk. I made posters, and t-shirts, and got my high school involved too. I loved the idea about raising awareness for something that mattered, but i also loved the idea of waking up the people around me. Calling them, and myself, to action. Any kind of action would be better then no action.



Eventually I figured out what TOMS was. A shoe company that made shoes, and for every pair sold, they would give a pair to a child in need. One for one. I checked out their shoe website and fell in love with the simple design, and the opportunity it gave me to help. Perhaps a small opportunity. but it was something. The price ranges for me were a little steep, but i still wished for a pair. Eventually TOMS came out with a navy blue "Carpe Diem" shoe that was irresistible. But this pair also came with a book. Written by the founder, it was a compilation of all the ideas in the world to "start something that mattered." Carpe Diem. As if I didn't love TOMS enough already…



All excited for my book and pair of shoes I started researching what other people were saying about their TOMS. One thing led to another, and I found myself among haters. People who despised the idea of TOMS, and all who wore them. They claimed the company was a fraud, and a selfish monster. Selling horribly expensive shoes that claimed to "help" kids, just to pull in a crowd and pocket money. Negativity and sour thoughts were all around.



When I first started reading these sorts of things I was mad. How could someone, anyone, say such horrible things about such a simple and good idea? There was a man, he saw he could make a difference, and he did it. Where is the harm in that? Where is the harm in making money doing it? Then the more I read... The more it got to me. Perhaps this was all a scam. Perhaps, my shoes didn't make the difference I thought they would make. Perhaps I could be doing more.



For as much as I had invested in TOMS, I was fairly quick to change my thoughts. I wasn't AS excited for my new shoes, I wasn't as hopeful that some little kid somewhere would now have a pair of shoes, and I was sort of flat out bitter; let down. I was filled with disillusionment. Even after I got my book, and loved it, I still couldn't find the simple joy for this company that I had originally.



With all this buzz about Kony, I've got to thinking again. I among, millions of others, had no idea who Kony was, or what was going on. If i would occasionally see pictures of childhood soldiers I would assume it was a thing of the past and move on. Never did I think things like these happened daily, currently. I watched and posted, the 27 minute video that was created, and was filled with a similar itch. The same itch that had me sign STG up for a day without shoes walk, the same itch that held a Dance for a Cure, the same itch that had me running a lemonade stand for Elizabeth Smarts family when i was a kid. It was the itch to make a difference. To be a part of something bigger then myself, to become a part of a movement, a community.



Then I started reading all the 'bad' things about this epic.







"To every new "activist" who is donating money to help the invisible children and stopping Joseph Kony. Only 32% less than 1/3 of your money goes to helping this "cause". The rest is taken by the company "invisible children". Last year alone they spent 8.9 million dollars of money collected. Only 2.8 million went directly to Uganda. 1.7 million in US employee salary, and if that wasn't bad enough over 16,000 in entertainment. I thought they were fighting to rid the world of children being exploited by Joseph Kony not going out and spending money on cheap thrills. So to the sheep heard following the herder lets change the world by throwing a couple of bucks to some strangers because obviously money buys everything."





But this time, instead of changing my mind about the movement at hand, i got angry. It's all about what your focus is on. Yes, they paid their employee's, how horrible. Indeed, they spent money on entertainment to advertise and make their cause known, sue em. But notice that small, tiny, almost insignificant number... the 2.8 million. THAT made an impact. & even if they HADN'T of made an impact with that money.. you know what they did do? They made an impact in the life of one boy. And, I don't know about many of you, but I can not put a price on life. Can you put a price on saving a single child? If you can save but one life, isn't that better then no life?



Unlike these negative posts, and annoying facts Invisible Children wasn't an organization made out of greed. And it wasn't an organization made out of spite or stupidity. It was put together by a vision, and a call to action. This man did something all of us could have done for over twenty years... But didn't. But now that you are aware of his efforts you want to point fingers? I'm sorry, but I'm sure he doesn't care; he has better things on his to-do list.



And for a more personal level,



I don't know if posting videos, making t-shirts, wearing bracelets, holding fundraisers, or going barefoot makes a true difference to the cause at hand. I'm not sure how far my actions reach. But does that mean I shouldn't make them? Should I not repost a video that gets you thinking? Or wear a t-shirt that sparks intelligent conversation?



Very rarely are our lives touched by things that make us truly move. That awakens our senses and our hearts. Most of us walk blindly through our day to day lives concerned with the next task on our to-do lists. We seemingly forget to care about the rest of the world. People are starving, children are dying, buildings are falling apart, and families are becoming almost non existent... yet we pay no attention. So for me, if there is ANYTHING that makes me stop to think about the cruel reality of others, I’m going to re-post it. If there is ANYTHING that can connect me with a group of people who are moving passionately towards a greater good, I’m going to wear it. If there is ANYTHING that represents a world of unity and eventual peace, I am going to fund raise like mad for it. Because personally, for me, it's worth it.



So go ahead, throw a pebble in the water, and make a wave.

Just make sure it's a wave that's worth something.